ADA signage refers to the signs and posted notices which businesses must display by law in public facilities to clarify how the building is accessible to those with disabilities. The U.S. Department of Justice’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities and ensures they have the same access to places and opportunities as those without disabilities. It also provides specific ADA signage requirements for a company to follow in regards to public facilities.
About ADA Signage in Parking Lots
It is important for businesses to be aware of ADA signage requirements regarding their exterior facilities. The 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design details these regulations and clarifies the signage necessary for parking lots.
Here are some of the federal requirements specified regarding ADA signage and accessible parking spaces:
- Accessible parking spaces are required to be identifiable with clearly marked signs that display the International Symbol of Access (ISA), which is a blue square with a white stenciled image of a wheelchair on it.
- The parking space signs must be mounted with a distance of at least 60 inches from the ground surface to the bottom of the sign to ensure that they are clearly visible from inside vehicles.
- If the handicapped accessible space is accessible by van, the designation “van accessible” must be displayed on the sign.
Our technicians at NTS Contractors are skilled in installing ADA signage in parking areas.
Importance of ADA signage
Clearly marking handicapped parking spaces in parking areas serves those with disabilities and demonstrates compliance with federal law. In addition to signage, there are several key components regarding parking areas and ADA requirements. Some of these guidelines relate to:
- Parking stall size
- Location of accessible parking spaces
- Number of accessible stalls
- Proper stall markings
- Painted access aisles clearly differentiated from parking spaces
- Two adjacent spaces may share a joint access aisle
Pavement markings for access aisles must be painted to stand out from parking stalls. While pavement markings on accessible stalls are not an ADA requirement, some local or state laws require painted pavement markings in addition to all other federal guidelines. Many businesses prefer to add stall markings with wheelchair stencils simply for enhanced visibility of accessible spaces. NTS Contractors offers pavement striping and can paint accessible stencils on stall pavement.
In addition to ADA signage, NTS Contractors provides parking lot repair, custom stenciling, striping, and other services across a wide variety of industries, including the following:
- Office buildings
- Industrial buildings
- Multifamily housing
In addition to federal laws, ADA signage and regulations are guided by local and state guidelines. The professional technicians at NTS Contractors will ensure that all local and state-level accessibility codes are met while they prepare signage. NTS provides ADA signage, other professional signage, and stenciling in the Dallas area. Quality services and customer satisfaction are guaranteed. Contact us at NTS Contractors for ADA signage or any other parking lot repair or upgrade needs, and our staff will set up a consultation.